At Aptus Planning we spend time chatting to our clients, usually informally over a cuppa, to establish their Estate Planning needs and objectives.
What is Estate Planning? Good question…..and it is important, we believe, to know & understand the answer.
‘Investopedia’ gives a great definition, which we will borrow here…….
“Estate planning is an ongoing process and should be started as soon as one has any measurable asset base. As life progresses and goals shift, the estate plan should move to be in line with new goals. Lack of adequate estate planning can cause undue financial burdens to loved ones, so at the very least a Will should be set up even if the taxable estate is not large.”
What is an asset base? And do I have one? More very good questions…..
An ‘asset base’ is simply a collection of all the things that you own. And it is highly likely that you own something! You might say to yourself ‘But I don’t own too much”. However let’s say, for example, that you own a house & maybe have some money in the bank. Well, these are your asset base. And in our opinion they merit protecting through effective Estate Planning.
But why do I need a plan? Well, as the old adage goes, those who fail to plan, plan to fail. Perhaps a little somber in tone, but something which we believe makes a lot of sense.
We find that not having Estate Planning in place can simply be due to a lack of knowledge & understanding of what’s involved. If that is the case, you have come to the right place. Because not only do we constantly update and educate ourselves, we feel it is our job to educate others on the subject too.
Let us give you a few things to think about….
– Do you have a Will? If not, do you wonder if you should have one?
– Long Term Care fees. Do you know what they are & does it concern you?
– Have you considered leaving a Business, Farm or other inheritance to children or loved ones, but perhaps worry they may divorce/seperate or get into financial difficulties in the future?
– How could you try to protect the legacy you plan to leave them from these threats?
– Is the way you own your property important? Solely / Joint Tenants / Tenants in Common?
– Do you wonder if Inheritance Tax is something that may affect you? If you added up the value of everything you own, would it be more or less than £325,000?
Well, did any of those questions cause you to pause for thought?
If so, we think you should get in touch with us. Simply for a coffee and a chat. We don’t charge for chatting and there’s no obligation on your part to proceed with anything.
However if you do decide to do your Estate Planning with us, we believe it will be time and money well spent. We might even pay for the coffee!
Professional Indemnity: £1,000,000